LAHORE: With coronavirus spreading rapidly and 1,725 new cases reported in the last one day in Lahore alone, the city administration is considering to close the entire city.
As per media reports, entry and exit from the city would only be allowed in emergency cases. The Lahore administration also has launched a crackdown on those ignoring the standard operating procedures (SOPs) set forth for the pandemic.
“We are seriously considering a proposal to close Lahore down keeping in view a huge spike in Covid-19 cases daily. This proposal will be presented in a meeting of the cabinet committee to be held on Monday (today),” said Lahore Commissioner retired Captain Muhammad Usman.
He said that he would plead this proposal before Chief Minister Usman Buzdar. “We also have another option in case the first one isn’t approved under which we will ask the CM to allow the closure of all marriage halls, and restaurants for at least 12 days,” the commissioner said.
He said closing the city down or observing a complete lockdown means that there would be no exit and no entry to the city. Only essential services would remain open, just like last year.
“Our objective is to contain public mobility at at least for 10 to 12 days, as it is a must to break the virus-spread cycle,” he further said.
“Lahore has reported 1,725 cases yesterday. The situation is worsening with each passing day. It is a must to play our part in spreading awareness, as we need to halt the spread,” the commissioner tweeted. “Yesterday, 27 further areas were put under lockdown and so far 40 areas have been locked down in Lahore. So those violating the non-pharmaceutical interventions will severely be dealt with. It is the time to act,” he said in another tweet.